Sunday, June 29, 2008

home redifined

After spending a whirlwind weekend away in St. Andrews and Crail, it is refreshing to come back to a familiar place. Outside of Glasgow the signs look different, the buses look different, the grocery stores are different and as we rode back in to town I knew we were near because I started to recognize land marks.

At the same time it was nice to get away. Glasgow equals school at the moment, so Tara and I escaped, even though it was on our mind the whole time we were gone, to this place:

This is The Marine in Crail, just 5 miles outside of St. Andrews, a really pretty beach town with lots of golf courses and ruins. We caught the first bus, number 24, out of Glasgow yesterday and rode 2.5 hours to St. Andrews where we toured around looking at the ruins of St. Andrews Cathedral and Castle, both built in the 1100s. Stuff is really old here. Then we went to the beach where that famous slow-mo running scene from Chariots of Fire was filmed, and put our feet in the North Sea. Then we caught the number 95 bus to Crail where we spent the night at the B&B shown above. It was a cute, quaint town right on the seaside. We had dinner and just relaxed. B&Bs are where its at.
When we got back to Glasgow this afternoon we went to Primark, mecca of cheap cute clothes. It being the mecca, means loads and loads of people. It feeds my consumeristic mind and I hate it. I hate feeling like I need cute things or that what I wear right now is not trendy or stylish enough. I tried on stuff and just started feeling so overwhelmed that I put it all back and just got a scarf and some bangles. It's in these moments when I realized I am still young and impressionable. I can't wait for the day when I am totally comfortable in my skin and don't feel the need to try and impress people, namely guys.
I'm excited about my 21st birthday tomorrow! I started celebrating on Thursday with buying a birthday dress, then on Friday with The Cave Singers show, which was phenomenal by the way. Yesterday was the B&B and tonight will be the Euro 2008 Final Game. It would be cool for Germany to win, since I will be travelling there afterwards, but the Spain guys are much better looking. Turkey shoulda won.
Scotland is almost over. Friday I fly to London. No worries, I'll say hello to the Queen for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you'll say hello to the queen for me; and I'm so glad you bought a birthday dress because dresses are more fun.

    ReplyDelete