Friday, June 6, 2008

Bon Voyage to Myself

I never cry out of happiness. I reserve my tears for pain and misunderstanding, not for joy because I think it is so strange to cry when you're excited. But today, I cried. And I wasn't sad. I was overcome with gifts for my trip from Aunt Janice and Lala and Pa. You see, my dad's side of the family is vastly different from my mom's side of the family. Different social classes, different ideals, different ways of living. My dad's side is so apparently full of the Holy Spirit, recognizing God in all that they do. Not to say that my mom's family isn't, but it is just visibly different.
They don't have a lot to give, but they give. I don't expect it and their generosity constantly surprises me.
I am so selfish most of the time, that this lesson is such a joy to learn over and over. It was when I opened my card from Lala and Pa that I just started to cry. Money is just money and it doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but it was their intentions of love and caring for me that was too much. How do they possess this? Lala and Pa are well into their 80s, meaning they have given up their whole lives for God. They have moved to Puerto Rico for God, they have opened a Christian retreat center for God. They give and give and give, and are still giving. It blows my mind.

I want to be like that. I need to be like that. Generosity.

With that said, here I go, with my thoughts on generosity, with the love of my friends and family, with a million hour plane ride ahead of me, with my brain opened wide. I'll see you in Scotland.

3 comments:

  1. aurevoir, mon amie!

    so, i like that you're joining us on blogspot. i like that you're in scotland having what i'm sure is or will be a great time. and i'd like to know if we can find a houseboat together sometime and stay there, because that sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. leah! have a wonderful time! i know you will. see you in august friend... i miss you already! love ya!

    ReplyDelete