Wednesday, March 2, 2011

joy

It's been an exhausting weekend. Long story short, one of my teams (the Heartland Team) hit black ice as they were driving through Utah and totaled their van. Miraculously no one got hurt, at all. It's a miracle. My supervisor, Justin, and I drove a new van out to them on Sunday and then continued to drive with them to Denver, just to monitor how they are doing.

Their lives are so incredibly precious and valuable. To describe the overwhelming heaviness on my heart and body all weekend would take forever. They are okay and that's all that matters.

So, these are are a few things that have brought me some silver linings and joy over the last several days.

1. The Nomads. No doubt. Such a beautiful group of altruistic and selfless people.

2. I'm sorry, I am that aunt. She's absolutely beautiful, isn't she? She is totally growing into that hair and noggin.
3. I wrote to my Senator about the cutting of the Title X funding for Planned Parenthood, asking her to stand against it. Someone very close to me was raped in 2002 and as her student health center wrote her off, she turned to Planned Parenthood for help. Without them, she wouldn't have known what to do. So, with her permission, I shared her story with my Senator. I received a response from Senator Boxer's staffer:

Dear Ms. Garrard,


As you know, the House recently passed a federal funding bill that cuts off federal funding for Planned Parenthood and Title X. The Senate will be considering its own funding bill next week and we expect there to be attacks similar attacks on this funding.


Senator Boxer appreciated you writing her on this topic an found your story to be very moving. She would like to ask your permission to mention your story and name on the Senate floor and with the press as an example of how much good federal funding for Planned Parenthood and Title X does.


If you have any questions I can be reached at...


Thanks,

Patrick


I have hope that the bill will not be passed through the Senate and it's so positive to know that our democratic system does work if we utilize it.

4. Sweet tea. My roommate made me a glass on Saturday and as I Skyped with my sister and niece, my troubles seemed to melt away.

2 comments:

  1. I'm real proud of you, Leahg.

    Keep pushing through - remember, to see the light come through the window, we've got to open the blinds.

    You're doing so well, & I really admire the way you've handled everything thus far.

    B-Gurl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love so much to see you live your big heart and your convictions. I'm glad you're my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete