Sunday, June 6, 2010

Let's Keep In Touch. I Mean It.

It's the time again, where I'm lying in my bed in my parents' house with suitcases packed and that christmas-eve-night anticipation running through my body. But it's really different this time, you know.

This time I have friends "out there" that I already know. I won't have to small talk. I know where they are from and what their laughs sound like and the music they enjoy. It's nice. But at the same time it isn't the relaxation I feel when I return to my Greensboro friends - the people I've known for 5 years now and can successfully sit in complete silence with and not feel awkward.

Sometimes when I think about this move to California, I get overwhelmed at the thought of a year of small talk, a year of awkward sarcasm and mere attempts at deep, meaningful relationships. The self-proclaimed introvert gets tired just thinking of having to be an extrovert in order to make friends.

I think I will be okay. I know where some parks are. I know where to get a bike. I know where I can find solitude and respite and recoup when my community art classes and scuba lessons (all hopefuls) give me too much people time. But I also hope I don't find too much solace in these things. Being alone is where I feel most comfortable and most energized, so I'm begging myself to not fall into that cycle. Discomfort has always brought great fruition into my life, so hopefully it'll be the same.

PLUS, I am banking on some celeb sightings. I'm hoping for Natalie Portman, though I think she resides in NYC, and Zooey Deschanel. I bet if I just camp out at LAX, TMZ will lead me straight to 'em.

......

In other news, I just learned that "ya'll" is not spelled that way at all. It's "y'all." I feel so disrespectful to my Southern roots for all the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment