Sunday, November 23, 2008

Drowning in Papers

What a scary way to die. Not being able to breath because you're stuck at the bottom, surrounded by a giant pool of papers. Paper cuts are the worst.

So, I'm sitting here in the SuperLab writing about Symbolic Interactionism. Basically this theory says that no interaction is genuine. We are all actors, speaking scripts, reacting to props, and acting as we want the audience (the other people in the situation) to interpret it. That when we talk to each other, it isn't sincere or caring, but we say what we think we need to say in order to give off a certain impression. Erving Goffman says that sometimes this is conscious, but sometimes it isn't. Sometimes we are so accustomed to the tradition of certain roles, that our actions and our speech come easily and unconsciously.

Isn't this a downer? I am slowly losing my faith in humanity. A few months back, I defended the goodness of people to a friend. She said that this reality is too harsh, that people suck and that's why she believed in God. She needed an alternate escape. A pure goodness, one that wasn't fair-weathered. But I don't know, she might be right. If nothing is true, if interactions aren't sincere and are mere responses as warranted, then maybe reality is harsh.

My new question for myself, is how do I mend this?

No comments:

Post a Comment