Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Family

I went to Kentucky to visit my sister and brother-in-law this weekend, for fall break. It was a good time. It was a good environment to be in - I needed that.

They are good people. They are exactly who I thought I would be, who I thought I wanted to be. They have good friends, they are healthy, they are active, they are down to earth, they are Christians, they don't drink or curse or smoke. Granted, they are living in a Christian bubble. I see it, and I was in it all weekend, but it wasn't stuffy and it wasn't exhausting. Going to church was a little strange and praying before every meal was out of the ordinary, but it was alright. They are understanding and loving people. It makes realize what I gave up. By going to a public university, by having non-Christian friends, by studying abroad, by thinking about what I believe. I look at them and I see security. They have secure jobs, secure relationships, secure faiths. It is so appealing. It makes me want to model my life just like them.

But then I remember how much security scares, how little adventure I see in it.

It was very appealing though. I feel so far removed from my Christian bubble. And I feel pretty comfortable where I am at now. I want to mesh the two worlds, but I don't see that it's feasible. Is it? I feel like I have to choose, and I don't wanna.

The trip also made me want to get married. Getting ahead of myself much?

3 comments:

  1. this is seth (h). i (may have) started a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the beauty of life is that...you don't have to choose! you don't need a bubble, you (leah garrard specifically) obviously weren't created to live in a bubble. you pop bubbles like its nobody's business.

    and i dare you to ask this question... does the gospel call its followers to security?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll marry you...

    well, no i won't, but i do love you. thanks for your extreme realness and for calling me on vague christianese and the bubble world.

    ReplyDelete