Monday, September 8, 2008

I want to look stupid.

I was listening to Prairie Home Companion: News from Lake Wobegon on podcast today as I walked home from school. Garrison was talking about the men in Lake Wobegon all get together at the fair and drink this grape wine. It's a fraternal meeting. Women aren't allowed because the men don't want there to be any judging and Garrison said something to this effect: "Whenever you are having a really wonderful time, you don't look that good. Whenever your heart is filled with joy you look stupid. The next time you experience ecstasy look in the mirror and see if I'm not right. You look dumb."

It's funny. It's true. That's what I want out of life. A good time. Euphoria. I'm tired of being worried all the time about what I am going to do when I graduate. Or who I'm going to date. Or if my friends care. Or if I look cool. Yeah, sadly, I still care about these things. I realize they are trivial, always have, but it is still a daily battle with my insecurities over these issues. Garrison gives me hope though. Judgment may ensue, but I want to look stupid.

I feel hopeful. And that is a feeling that has been long forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment