Thursday, July 2, 2009

Picture, Words


Today a girl I knew in high school had this as her facebook status: "You should only feel ugly when you can no longer see Christ in the mirror." There are so many issues I have with this trite little Christian-ism. One, can I not be beautiful without Christ? Aren't we all made in the image of God, thereby making us all beautiful no matter the status of our 'salvation'? I am still something beautiful without Christ and so are those in corners of Siberia, Iraq, and New York City. Two, this provides unreachable expectations from Christianity. Believing in Jesus does not remove doubt, self-hatred, or even 'sin' from life. To say that it will is unreasonable and provides this idea of "perfection" that comes with Christianity. Third, this status comes from a person who believes that I have to be a member of her denomination in order to participate in heaven. So it isn't even Christ that is being talked about. It's a certain Christ, with a certain church, and a certain doctrine.

Excuse me while I just add another brick to my wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment