Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I want to have lots of daughters when I have children. Obviously, this is something I can control.

I just finished reading Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn and it is basically research in narrative style about various ways organizations have worked to empower women living in oppressive societies all around the world. It is mind blowing and greatly life changing.

I've always greatly identified as a woman and am proud of my sex. I'm quick to stand up for the respect of women and will rarely let a sexist comment slide. I writhe when women say sly comments about other women or even just in general about women - about how women are "supposed" to act or how they don't want to have daughters because girls are annoying.

Thus, I WANT to have girls. Women are powerful creatures because they are still the underdogs. Women still make 75% of what men make in the same position. Yet, they have so much influence in society. Ugandans say, "when you educate a woman, you educate a nation." They bring life into this world and when mothers are the ones who have a huge play in the finances of a family, the income goes towards more sustainable, less consumable items (so says Half the Sky).

My daughters will be strong and will not be second class. They will not believe they are inferior, nor will they believe that they can only do certain things because of their sex. They will choose what types of extracurricular activities they want to do, but education will always be a priority. They will be compassionate and caring as all people should be and will look to serve others, no matter who they are.

To my future daughters, don't back down. Stand bold and with your head held high. You're going to do wonderful and influential things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment