Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bangin Nachos: It's What's For Dinner

My sister gave me a cookbook for graduation entitled, "Help! My Apartment Has A Kitchen."  This is exactly how I feel about the entire subject, so it was perfect.  I've technically only made one thing from it, but I have eaten it multiple times and it never gets old, so I wanted to share.  If I can do it, you can too!

What you need:
18-20 tortilla chips
1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 8-ounce can refried beans
scallion (also called a green onion)
1 small ripe avocado or 1/2 large ripe avocado (optional)
1-2 tablespoons sliced black olives (optional)
Salsa
Sour cream

What you do:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. For easy clean-up cover baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Place tortilla chips on baking sheet and cover them with spoonfuls of refried beans (you don't need to use the entire 8 oz can). 
Wash the scallion.  Cut off root tip and top 2 inches of green end and discard them.  Cut the remaining white and green parts into 1/4-inch pieces and scatter them onto the tortilla chips.
Peel and cut the avocado into 1/4-inch squares and sprinkle them onto the chips.
Sprinkle black olive slices onto chips.
Cover the entire concoction with cheese and bake for 5 minutes.
Don't forget to pile spoonfuls of salsa and sour cream on top before consuming/serving.


Seriously, do this. In fact I think I am going to right now! I also put some cooked chicken on there if I have any and substitute fresh tomatoes for the salsa.  I've gotten it down to an art in which I prepare the nachos while my oven is preheating - it's olympic.

Let me know if you all eat this, what your reactions are, and if you have any ideas for improvements!


2 comments:

  1. Those look lovely. Did you take a picture of them? I hope so because then I won't be the only freak in the world who photographs her food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://bp3.blogger.com/_KA-x9DCF6to/SIQLOq0Tu9I/AAAAAAAAAG8/aSpBSBoCFMA/s1600-h/P1010881.JPG

    ReplyDelete