Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Distraction

Do you ever just feel completely distracted, distant, or burdened? Then, boy, do I have a solution for you!!! ...

Just kidding. I thought that might be witty and annoying enough for everyone to endure. Can't you imagine the Oxy Clean guy yelling that to the TV?  And then he pulls out a bucket of chicken grease or something and tries to sell it off.  I'd probably buy some.  That guy is very persuasive.

But seriously.  

I am very preoccupied right now.  I'm ready for my schooling to be finished, not only for this semester but for the summer too.  I'm feeling very trapped within this academic process because of the commitments I have made to do well in school and graduate with a certain GPA.  I can't slack off now, but there seem to be more important, more serious issues at hand in this world than whether I go to class or turn in projects on time.  It's basically two character traits at war with each other.  We've got "desire to impact the world and create social change" over here in this corner and "wants to excel at school and fulfill her professors' expectations" in the other corner.  Are you ready to rumble?  I know who's going to win and it breaks my heart.  My mind isn't here, it's in Chicago with the others who are still camped out, protesting the war in Uganda and abduction of child soldiers.  I have to be here though.  Education is a key facet in social change and I need to learn in order to do.  I know this, but dammit, I don't like it.  Not one bit.

1 comment:

  1. leah,
    thanks for your comment on my blog and sorry i haven't responded yet. i like what you had to say and it did get me thinking. i wonder though, how do you define "roles"? Maybe your definition is different than mine, thus causing us to think differently about roles. Does that make sense?

    Here is how I define/think about roles: expected behavior patters

    Example: I walk into a classroom and notice all the students sitting in desks that face the front of the room. Since I too am a student, I follow the role of other students and sit at a desk facing the front of the room/professor. My role as student is to listen and take notes at this desk. In a sense, then my relationship to the professor is one of receiving--- receiving his/her knowledge and doing whatever with that.

    lets carry on this discussion, i think it is good for me :)

    ReplyDelete