Friday, December 5, 2008

Bummed Out

Man. I don't know what has come over me. Humanity bums me out, and my lack of ability to have an effect bums me out. It's been building over time, but this particular event triggered it last night. At the basketball game there were these UNCG guys behind me who were ragging on this player from the opposing team. They were making fun of the way he looked - calling out things like "you've got down-syndrome" and "get your teeth fixed." Total disregard. Total ignorance. Total assholes. I was so angry. It wasn't just two guys either it was a whole lot of them - 20 guys probably chanting this stuff. No one said anything in opposition. What makes me even angrier is that I didn't have the guts to turn around and say something. If I can't stand up to some twenty-something year old douchebags that haven't grown up, how in the world am I going to be able to stand up against global forces like poverty, corruption, violation of human rights.

I am so frustrated with the superficiality of humanity. I see girls being obnoxious and throwing themselves, literally, over tables to be the center of attention. I see guys trying to be masculine and aware, talking about stuff that is completely unnecessary and without depth. Is integrity out there? Is sincerity out there? (Broken record much?)

I need to talk to my brother. He'll know what to say.